Thursday, September 16, 2010

Gnocchi and tiramisu

15/9/10
Yesterday was the 21st birthday of Nick the guy on our trip. So after classes we went out for dinner at a restaurant we have affectionately named crunchy pizza place. And then came back to our house for some drinks and birthday pastry before going out. It was a lot of fun, but a little weird because I was drinking with my Latin teacher. I find it interesting that whenever a large group of classics lovers go out and drink inevitably the Greek vs Roman debate occurs and people love nerdy talk. I also had a great time bonding with my roommates. Oh alcohol the great social lubricant.

Today we had a lazy day, I spent most of the afternoon at the Internet cafĂ©, torrenting some music Amar told me about. Took years (or hour) but totally worth it. Listening to them now: jukebox the ghost. Then we all met and headed to Alba’s (one of our directors) house to cook an authentic Italian meal. We spent many hours making tiramisu and gnocchi (which are potato noodles) then had a full dinner with gnocchi, cheese, salame, and some wonderful bread accompanied of course by some wine and followed by our tiramisu and some grappa. It was such hard work to roll out all the noodles, but our director’s daughter said that in 8 years we have made the best gnocchi. I got the recipes I am hoping I remember them so I can make some for my family when I get home. Tiramisu at least! It was so much food that it made me sleepy! Then home to finish up some homework for Thursday and journal a bit before class tomorrow. I think we are planning on going to the market in the morning to get some clothes for our spelunking trip, and maybe some fresh fruit, veggies, and maybe even some nuts. The market is tons of fun and gives us an opportunity to work on the Italian that we all find so difficult!

I am hoping that classes on Thursday go a little better, one of my profs is a difficult lecturer to follow and it is a little frustrating. I also always have his 2 classes in a row! At least I am not the only one suffering.
More later jlm 

No comments:

Post a Comment